My favourite time of year has arrived! Taste of Joburg is coming at the end of September…And I’ve got TEN double tickets to give away.
This year, Taste of Joburg is a doozy. Some of my absolute favourites are taking part and I couldn’t be more excited. Coobs (Matt’s food is the business), La Cucina di Ciro, The Grazing Room and even Beefcakes will be serving up some of their best selling dishes to what I’m sure will be a salivating crowd. (I’m keen to try their burgers – apparently they’re amazing. Need to see if ours are better!)
Seriously, you don’t want to miss it this year. So here’s how you enter the draw to win one of ten double tickets to this year’s Taste of Joburg:
- Follow The Counter on The Twitter
- Like The Counter’s Facebook page
- Follow Taste of Joburg on The Twitter
- Like Taste of Joburg’s FB page
- Leave a comment on this post, telling us you’ve done all of the above
- For extra entries, tweet The Counter & Taste of Joburg or post on The Counter’s Facebook page
Here’s a full write-up on Taste of Joburg, to get you even more excited:
Sights, sounds and scents collide as Taste of Joburg unveil the Restaurant List for this year’s prestigious Culinary Carnival!
Johannesburg, 12th August 2013: With only seven weeks to go until this year’s Pick n Pay Taste of Joburg, in association with Orbit Sugarfree chewing gum, the highly- anticipated restaurant list has been announced.
“Joburg’s culinary landscape has dramatically evolved over the last seven years and with it, our visitors’ palettes have become more discerning,” says Taste Festivals Director, Justine Drake. “This year our 12 restaurants not only reflect that shift, but we have ensured that all ‘tastes’ have been catered for.”
The list of the Taste of Joburg for 2013 Restaurants is as follows:
- Winner of last year’s “Orbit Best Dish” for his “Kudu Wellington” African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel’s Executive Chef Hanroe Erasmus returns with his take on international cuisine and transforming it into award-winning dishes with a South African twist.
- Local retro-chic diner, Beefcakes Burger Bar with Executive Chef Wonderful Ndhlovu will serve up a variety of playful foods from gourmets burgers to chilli poppers– synonymous with this popular establishment.
- One of the latest additions to Parkhurst’s 4th Avenue, Chef- Patron James Diack’s Coobs will dish up the eclectic contemporary and unique bistro-style food that has made his restaurant a firm favourite in the Northern suburbs. Think confit pork belly and smoked pumpkin and goats cheese empanadas
- Gwefey Restaurant and Head Chef Weiliang Song’s menu promises a sensual trip through the authentic exotic cuisines of Asia.
- Festival favourite La Cucina Di Ciro return with their masterful blend of Mediterranean tastes, textures and colours and the timeless tradition of slow-cooked food using only the freshest and best quality ingredients and produce by Chef Patron Ciro Molinaro.
- Chef Patron Dino Fagas also returns to Taste of Joburg in 2013 with Prosopa. Proposa’s extensive Greek menu will feature traditional favourites like Lamb Kleftiko and Spanakopita
- Montecasino’s 3SIXTYº Liquid Lounge and Complex Chef Rylan Ramsamy will inspire patrons with his menu of premium food that come together to create the ultimate in opulent indulgence.
- Chef Patron Matthew Abraham and Consulting Executive Chef Philippe Frydman from Thava Indian Restaurant in Norwood will again have on offer the aromatic and delicious South Indian dishes this indulgent institution is renowned for.
- Popular dw eleven-13 Chef-Patron Marthinus Ferreira and Head Chef Damian Pentelow will offer guests another way to indulge their palate with The Grazing Room presenting a tantalising menu based on Spanish-style tapas.
- The menu from Senior Sous Chef Jacques Venter from Vivace Restaurant at the Radisson Blu, Sandton will deliver a sleek, modern dining experience with their take on a contemporary menu featuring things like steamed sushi rolls with miso broth and deboned pork riblettes.
- The team at 2 Thai 4 overseen by Head Chef Oya promise a menu of authentic Thai cuisine using fresh herbs and traditional spices with all dishes being prepared by Thai chefs.
- Newly established, Lacuna Bistro and Executive Chef Dallas Orr will serve visitors sophisticated urban bistro cuisine using only the best, local produce.
In addition to the 12 restaurants and following its success at Taste of Cape Town in April, African Pride Melrose Arch, Braeside Pop-Up Grill, Eat, Thava Indian Restuarant and Vivace will form “Taste Bites” offering bite-sized gastronomic street food.
“Something that will hopefully outlive its ‘trend’ status is the use of fresh, local produce,” continues Drake. “The menus served to visitors this year will reflect not only this new sensibility, but also the passion our chefs have infused into their cuisine.”
- The Pick n’ Pay Taste of Joburg in association Orbit Sugarfreee Gum takes place from the 26th – 29th September 2013 at Montecasino.
- For more information and bookings visit www.tasteofjoburg.com or www.itickets.co.za
- Tickets are priced from R80 and include a tasting glass.
- Booking is recommended.
- Thursday 26th September: 18h30- 22h30
- Friday 27th September: 18h30- 22h30
- Saturday 28th September: 13h00- 17h00; 18h30- 22h30
- Sunday 29th September: 12h00- 17h00
See you there, kittens…